Some people had turkey this past Thanksgiving, I had Memphis-style barbecue at Blackstrap BBQ, this newly opened restaurant on Wellington street in the heart of Verdun.
After having read all the enthusiastic tweets about Blackstrap, there could only really be one choice of restaurants when I found myself hungry on Thanksgiving Sunday. The place is very simply decorated, with a long bar behind which the barbecue and smoker are located and a few bar stools and picnic tables scattered around. After a short chat with the host and chef, we decided to order “Le gros” which basically gives you a taste of everything: pulled pork, brisket, ribs, chicken, fries, braised greens, slaw, beans and deep-fried mac and cheese balls (yes, you read that right!). We also ordered the poutine with brisket “burnt ends”, which I deemed one of the top 3 poutines in Montreal after my first bite.
Everything comes served in metal containers lined with brown Kraft paper. It feels like you’re having a picnic indoors. The food is seriously delicious and I have a hard time deciding which are my favourites but these are some of the items I will surely order next time I’m there:
- The ribs, which are fall-of-the-bone tender and juicy.
- The chicken, which gets a final dunk in the deep fryer before being served which makes the skin oh-so-delicious and crispy.
- The mac and cheese deep-fried balls, which are gooey and cheesy. The crunchy, thin outer layer speckled with salt is the perfect contrast to the soft and almost sweet filling. Genius!
- The poutine with brisket “burnt ends” which is just decadently delicious. Brisket jus is added in to make a richer tasting gravy. I would literally trek all the way to Verdun for this poutine alone.
- The greens which are served crunchy and slightly vinegary, the perfect accompaniment to the rich food.
Blackstrap BBQ already has a following and it won’t be long before people start lining up at the door, I’m sure. You don’t want to miss out on this delicious finger-licking experience.
4436 Wellington, Verdun
+1 514 507 6772